Plugins like payment gateways and fraud detection solutions extend Kill Bill with new features and provide tight integrations. Now the newest integration provides a sales tax automation solution. Today, we are pleased to announce that we have added Avalara® AvaTax® to the list of Kill Bill certified integrations.
Not all plugins are created equal
Kill Bill’s plugin architecture has expanded over the past couple of years. As a result, our billing and payment platform has about 50 open-source plugins. In addition, the Kill Bill team has first-hand knowledge of well over a dozen closed-source plugins, developed by companies we have advised.
Some plugins are quite simple, such as sending an email when generating an invoice. Others are very complex. For example, the Adyen plugin, provides more than 250 payment methods worldwide.
Certified plugin integrations
Kill Bill recently started a formal review and certification process. The process applies to the more advanced plugins that integrate with third-party solutions, like a sales tax automation solution. The goal of the process is two-fold:
- We have direct access to the vendor technical team to help optimize the connector for that particular integration.
- We have a chance to educate the vendor on Kill Bill and on the unique, open-source nature of the project.
The Kill Bill-Avalara project
The process for reviewing Avalara AvaTax began on April 15th (surprisingly enough!) with an initial preview meeting. At the end of this year, we finished the certification.
This is what we did:
- We checked that the Avalara AvaTax plugin passed all required integration tests.
- We confirmed that Kill Bill correctly maps data to the generated tax documents.
- The Avalara team educated us on more advanced sales topics. (We’ll keep these in mind as Kill Bill evolves.)
- We went through the best practices to integrate Kill Bill in traditional e-commerce setups and to understand how Avalara now fits into the picture.
As a result of these eight months of hard work, you can now seamlessly integrate Kill Bill with AvaTax. As a result, AvaTax and Kill Bill automatically calculate taxes on invoices. The calculations depend on the products in your catalog, as well as your customers’ eventual exemptions, tax location, and so forth.
To get started, check out the plugin documentation. On the Avalara side, you can read more about Kill Bill and Avalara together as a tax automation solution. Then connect with Avalara to ask questions and/or get started with the sales process.