Plugins extend Kill Bill with new features and provide tight integrations. Just a few examples include integrations with: payment gateways, fraud detection solutions, credit card account updaters, and now… a sales tax automation solution.
Today, we are pleased to announce that we have added Avalara® AvaTax® to the list of Kill Bill certified integrations.
Not all plugins are created equal
Kill Bill’s plugin architecture has grown significantly over the past couple of years. Our billing and payment platform already has about 50 open-source plugins. The Kill Bill team also has first-hand knowledge of well over a dozen closed-source plugins, developed by companies we have advised.
Some plugins can be very simple, such as sending an email when an invoice is generated. Others can be very complex. One example is the Adyen plugin, which provides more than 250 payment methods worldwide.
Certified plugin integrations
For the more advanced plugins that integrate with third-party solutions, like a sales tax automation solution, Kill Bill recently started a formal review and certification process. The goal of the process is two-fold:
- We have direct access to the vendor technical team, which helps us ensure the connector is optimized for that particular integration.
- We have an opportunity to educate the vendor on Kill Bill and on the unique, open-source nature of the project.
The process for evaluating Avalara AvaTax began on April 15th (surprisingly enough!) with an initial introduction meeting. At the end of this year, we finalized the certification.
This is what we did:
- We verified the Avalara AvaTax plugin passed all required integration tests.
- We verified that the data from Kill Bill is mapped correctly to the generated tax documents.
- The Avalara team educated us on more advanced sales topics. (We need to keep these in mind as Kill Bill evolves.)
- We went through the best practices to integrate Kill Bill in traditional e-commerce setups and understand how Avalara now fits into the picture.
As a result of these eight months of hard work, you can now seamlessly integrate Kill Bill with AvaTax. Taxes on invoices are automatically calculated depending on the products in your catalog, on your customers’ eventual exemptions, tax location, and so forth.